RU/EN

About the Church

A stone church existed from 1785 to 1943 in the village of Bolshoe Pulkovo that was named in honor of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God and built by the architect Giacomo Quarenghi (1744 – 1817) by order of Empress Catherine II. This was a very rare type of church for Russia, one with two bell towers. The history of the church’s construction has been lost. There are only several lines in church literature and in literature on the history of architecture that mention this church.

Thanks to the support of ExpoForum jsc, one of the founders of the Foundation for the Restoration of Christian Cultural Monuments, for the first time ever the construction and subsequent evolution of the Church of the Icon of the Smolensk Mother of God in Pulkovo has been clarified based on images and documents found in the archives by the art historian K. Malinovsky.